Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Nairobi & Elephants


(late post from 2018...)
We had a fantastic day in Nairobi.  Left after church (which I played in again.  Kevin- the minister guitar player- high fived me after the first piece saying I nailed the rhythm and if I could do that I could do anything!  Well, rhythms are easy for me.  Playing with just a cord sheet is already easier, if I did much if it, would be fun I think.  Drive to Nairobi took a little over an hour through slums, posh areas, potholed roads, past donkeys, lots of walkers, etc.  It's amazing how many people walk along the side of the road, sometimes far from apparent towns, and all hours of the day!

First stop was the elephant orphanage complete with baby elephants ranging in age from 3 months to about 3 years.  They were so cute pushing each other into the mud, throwing dirt around and drinking gallons of milk.  Just like human kids!  After lunch (which most pigged out at, I had a small fruit salad and received lots of ribbing for that), we headed to giraffe park.  Nadia received a kiss  (well actually the Giraffe licks food from your lips!) but they were all tired of the pellets so I didn't get one ):  It was HOT and I got a little burned on my right side from sitting by the open car window.  After Giraffe's went to bead factory then on to shopping.  Mom and I did sneak in a couple bottles of wine but now we are scared to drink them!  Everyone here really frowns on drinking.

Although everyone had said they wouldn't want dinner (except me), we did go to dinner,
partially at Phillip's (the drivers) urging claiming he wanted to see me eat a "real" meal and because since I wanted to go to dinner, and I planned it, we ought to.  Philip is pretty funny; he thinks I'm funny and outrageous.
 
Dinner was at a nice restaurant on the property of the family of the lady who inspired the film out of Africa.  We (your Grandma and I) had wine with dinner for the first time in 2 weeks!  I had chicken and veggies, Nadia had a wonderful fish dish and we shared our entrees.  I noticed everyone managed to eat and all were happy to see me eat.  Brother!!! Total bill was about $110 for 7 people! not bad, although it is true Mom and I were the only ones who had alcohol.  Nadia has been eating almost non stop.  She's pregnant... but she may end up gaining a lot of weight if she's not careful!

Drive home was a little hairy because it was dusk by the time we left.  The drivers are CRAZY! People walk on the road, there are still donkeys and bikes at all hours.  But we made it home safely.  All collapsed into bed after unpacking groceries.


It actually rained yesterday so cut down on the dust some but is 80+ again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment